Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Running laps

Thank you DB for being our first contender this week! DB writes:

The year was 1994.  My oldest was 11.  It was a very chaotic time in our lives as we were in the process of moving from one community to another.  I decided to let my 11 year old son play little league in the community we were leaving instead of the one we were moving to because he knew everyone there.  It seemed like a good idea .... at the time.
Once we moved, the commute was extremely inconvenient, as he practiced almost every weekday.  I was very busy settling us in to the new house and would lose track of time, forgetting that I needed to add 30 EXTRA minutes of driving time to his practice starting time.
On this particular day, I glanced at my watch and knew we were already late.  My 11 year old was ready and waiting (as he is never late) and I hurried his younger sisters into the van, quickly strapping the 2 year old in her car seat - and off we go.
As we pulled in the parking lot of the practice field (on 2 wheels, I think), I was startled - no one was there.  It was 6:10 and practice should have started at 6..  I looked at my son.  "Where is everyone?"
He just grinned.  "Mom," he said, "Practice starts at 6:30.  I told you 6 so I wouldn't be late.  I didn't want to run laps again."
I was convicted to my toe nails!  I was able to get him there on time after that.
It's funny, though.  Now he loves to run - runs everyday.
Did my MOTY moment encourage his love for running?
Who knew?

To send in your MOTYM write ashleybeam@gmail.com. Don't forget to include your signature and a title for your piece.

1 comment:

  1. Now that's a smart kid! (and bless his heart for not wanting to run laps).

    ReplyDelete