Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hem those pants

So this MOTYM is actually more about my pants than about my daughter. I have a beautiful pair of gray slacks that fit wonderfully everywhere but in the length. They are about 2 inches too long when I am wearing 2 inch heels! No problem. I know how to hem. My MIL taught me how last year when she helped me hem my own bridesmaid dress for a wedding I was in.

One Saturday, I put the pants on with my heels on and had Hubby put a few pins in the bottom so that I would know about where the hem needed to be. That was all I had time for so I folded the pants up and put them by my sewing machine (I even have a sewing machine).

Night after night, day after day, my pants sat there. When we moved to our new house, my sewing machine got put away and so did the pants - to the back of my closet. Every once in a while I would look at the pants and get frustrated with myself that I hadn't hemmed them yet. There they were - a good pair of pants going to waste!

One morning a few weeks ago, I was looking for something to wear. The laundry hadn't been done so my options were slim and those pants began to shimmer in the back of my closet. "No one will notice," I told myself. "Those safety pins will just look like a shiny hem," I convinced myself. On went the pants. Oh how I loved those pants! I wore them at least once every week. They are a great fit!

This Sunday, a sweet older lady in choir approached me. "Ashley, I hope this doesn't embarrass you, but I'm going to say it anyway. I noticed at choir practice on Wednesday night that your pants were pinned up. If you ever need me to hem them for you, I'll be glad to." I sheepishly smiled and thanked her.

What's so bad about this? I have a sewing machine - a good one at that! I know how to hem - decently. AND, I'm taking her my pants tomorrow night!

5 comments:

  1. HAHAHA I have done this! Last year when I started showing (immediately) I had a pair that would fit but the hem was out so first I taped them up.Which worked well. Then I decided I should pin them and have them hemmed. Well I only had time to sleep and work so those pants never got hemmed. Oppsss.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! But hey, sometimes it's just nice for someone else to do whatever it is we don't have the time or energy for, even if we can do it ourselves! Love the new blog...I'm adding it to my blog list as we speak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a pair of dressy pants that I hemmed up (on the inside) with duck tape.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever works is what I say. There just aren't enough hours in the day! Thanks for your comments ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a one word solution.... staples

    ReplyDelete