Monday, November 16, 2009

Finger nails

I hate clipping Miss C's finger nails. Actually DOTY would correct me here since I've never actually clipped Miss C's finger nails. I am usually holding Miss C and distracting her while DOTY clips her finger nails. The whole time DOTY is clipping, I am gasping and saying "Watch out for..." and "Wait, wait!" and "That's good enough!"

This is probably because the very first time we clipped her nails we got a good bit of thumb in there. I was a basket case. Of course that was a couple of days after we brought her home from the hospital so the slightest thing sent emotions swirling.

After that first nail clipping session, I decided then that we would just use mittens - no need to clip anymore. This worked well the first week. Her nails were starting to get long by the second week, but we had those mittens - right? Yeah, those mittens that never stay on her hands. The third week there were a few scratches, but this MOTY decided those probably didn't hurt near as much as getting her thumb sliced off. On the fourth week her nails were so long that they were starting to break off. "See, we don't have to clip them. They'll just break off after a little while. Problem solved!"

Long story short, the doctor convinced me at her 2 month appointment (8 weeks old) that we did need to be clipping her finger nails. Just recently DOTY has decided to do it when I'm at work so that I won't constantly gasp through the process.

3 comments:

  1. I do Quinn's nails after a bath. They nails are softer and are easier to clip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until she falls asleep in the carseat. Its a breeze. I keep her nail clippers in her diaper bag so that when she is asleep I can pull over and clip them or if Adam is driving I jump in the back and attack. Its so easy!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will sound crazy..but yes..I've done it. I've actually bitten off my daughter's fingernails (GASP, gross!) I know, BUT, you dont have to worry about cutting her with the clippers! :) Now she has the hang of it and realizes that if she is still, it will be over faster so I can clip clip clip, no problem.

    ReplyDelete