Sunday, November 1, 2009

Too Much Pumpkin

Just like a good MOTY should, I decided I would try making all of my daughter's baby food. I want to be all healthy and home-like. And, just like a good MOTY should, I decided we should pick out the freshest fruits and veggies from our local farmers' market. BUT, being that I eat things like Easy Mac everyday for lunch, I know nothing about getting fruits and veggies from a farmers' market...

I vigorously looked through the squash, discarding certain ones for no reason other than I thought I should. You can't pick up the first one you see - no one does that. I certainly would look like a newbie if I did that. As I pick through the produce, I realize that I have no idea how much baby food this stuff is going to make. How big of a pumpkin do I need? How many squash should I get?

I quickly wiped the question mark off my face so as not to let anyone know I was confused. I proceeded to put random produce in the back of the stroller. When all was said and done I had one large pie pumpkin, 2 acorn squash, 2 pounds of green beans, and a large basket of sweet potatoes.

After hours of making baby food with the hubby, we had this to show for it:

44 servings of pumpkin
30 servings of sweet potatoes
9 servings of squash
9 servings of green beans

I ended up being quite lopsided favoring pumpkin and sweet potatoes. Hmmm... now that I think about it, don't pumpkin and sweet potato taste similar? They sure do look the same when pureed. Ooops! I hope Miss C likes pumpkin and sweet potato.

And, today I read this article from www.ivillage.com. Apparently, too much orange and yellow veggies can make a babe's skin turn orange. I have 83 servings of orange and yellow veggies in my freezer. Ooops! I sure hope Miss C has a high tolerance for Beta-carotene! Did I just say that I hope my child has a tolerance for a vitamin?

No comments:

Post a Comment