Tuesday, November 10, 2009

11/10/09 Moms in the News

Meet Delores Powell - single mother of 4 living in Buffalo, NY. Delores bought a house in what she thought was a great neighborhood and place to raise her children. Over the last couple of years, the neighborhood has really gone downhill. Houses and lots are vacant and the neighborhood is becoming unsafe. Delores is doing her best to change that. She's gone so far as to remove graffiti herself and repaint the exteriors of some houses.

Meet Laura Ferguson - special education teacher in North Texas and mother of one autistic son. For her work in special education, Laura was named Bayard H. Friedman Hero. Laura had earned her degree in psychology and was studying to become a gerontologist when her son was diagnosed with autism. She then threw herself into special education recognizing the value of teaching life skills to children who are disabled.


Don't know the names in this case, but this little article is about a 10-year old boy who came to his mom's rescue when a man began attacking her. What a brave little boy!

3 comments:

  1. How do you find all these posts about Moms in the News? Do you google it, do you use your reporter husband? How do you find them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually use Google Reader to find them. I subscribe to a couple of Google News searches - "mother hero", "mother inspire", and some others. Anytime a news story comes up that would populate in a Google search for those phrases, I get a new item in my Google Reader. It's pretty awesome. I hope to do a post about this later for tips for moms. Google Reader is a great tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I learned about Google Reader in my technology workshop I'm taking this year. I'll have to try that myself.

    ReplyDelete