Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Mealtime

Miss C is almost six months old so she is just starting to eat solids. Of course I had to read several books and websites about it. One of my favorites is "On Becoming Baby Wise: Book Two" by Gary Ezzo and Robert Bucknam.

The feeding chapter explains that as your child's eating moves more to mealtimes, you should show them how you "Give Thanks" before the meal. This thought never even occurred to me! Here I am, a mealtime pray-er since I began talking I'm sure, and I never even thought about how I would teach this to Miss C.

The book explained that you should have the food in front of the babe and stop everything to bow your head and thank God for the food. This chapter in the book was a reminder to me that He gives us everything. He is our provider. That little monotonous prayer before our meals is to thank Him for His goodness to us.

"Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?" Matthew 6:26

Join me in having mealtime prayers with your little one and may your mealtime prayers be more intentional about thanking God instead of the same old words.

1 comment:

  1. I started "saying prayers" with Q over his food when he started eating table food. (although I didn't think about it when I was feeding him). Anyway, he's been eating this way for about a year now, and when I say "Let's say prayers" he puts his hands together and I say the blessing and he says "Amen". So sweet to hear!

    ReplyDelete